Thursday, December 13, 2007

Hali is finally here!

Ready to be induced!
After a long day and night she finally arrived November 16th at 3:26 am.
8lbs 20 inches (with two cute dimples and curly dark blonde hair!)
This this the second time I got to see and hold her.
Daddy holding Hali in the NICU (that's an IV in her head-so sad!) She had so many wires attatched to her little body.
Finally after four days in the NICU, we get to take her home!
Now that Hali is almost a month old I am finally getting the chance to post some pictures. I will just give the story of the journey we had to get her here.
I was scheduled to be induced on November 15th, so at 11:30 they called us and we headed to the hospital about an hour later. I got all hooked up to the petocin and antibiotic for Strep B at about 1:00 in the afternoon. I was dialated to a two and a half when we arrived at the hospital. At about two thirty I got my epidural (I really had no desire to feel anything). A few hours later I finally dialated to a four, but stayed there for several hours.
Everything was going great until about 8:00pm. At that time I just started shaking uncontrollably and it never stopped until I had her (besides when Travis, my dad, and father in-law gave me a blessing it stopped for about fifteen minutes). I think the shaking for seven hours is what made me more exhausted than anything.
My body did some crazy things with all of the fluids I was on. Initially, my epidural lasted about four hours before I had to get a new bag of fluid, however, as time went on the fluid went faster and faster through my body. By the end I had to get a new bag of epidural fluid every hour (because of this I was feeling a lot of pain!) The nurse said I went through five times the amount of fluid the average mother goes through during labor. She had never seen someone go through as much petocin as I had without having the baby. Apparently, my body metabolizes the IV fluids extremely fast.
At 11:00 I was finally dialated to a nine and a half and again there I stayed for four and a half hours. I tried to push for about a half an hour but she was posterior and stuck. Apparently I have an abnormal pelvic bone shape (as does my sister). Finally, my doctor decided that the only way we were going to get her here was by C-section, and after fifteen hours of labor I was fine with that. Unfortunately, they had to put me completely out during my C-section because I was feeling him when he was pinching me and it kind of freaked me out. So I never got to hear her cry for the first time and when she was born she had to go straight to the NICU because I had a fever during labor and that put her at risk for an infection. So she was born at 3:26 am weighing in at 8 pounds and was 20 inches long and I didn't even get to see her until 8:00 am. I have to admit it was such a weird feeling because I never saw her come out, so when I went to the NICU to see her it was just like looking at someone elses baby. To me my baby was still inside me!
We were hoping to get Hali out of the NICU after 48 hours because that is the protocol for Correo (fever during labor) however, she was in there for the four whole days I was in the hospital. That meant we never got to have her in the hospital room with us. It was really frustrating because whenever we would have visitors Travis would have to take them down to the NICU to see her, meanwhile I would just be in my hospital room by myself (because of the C-section I had a hard time going to the NICU).
The whole experience wasn't exactly like I had pictured in my head, however, she is beautiful and healthy and we couldn't be any more happy about that! We feel so blessed to finally have this little baby girl in our home! However, I must say I do look forward to having a scheduled C-section with my next baby and being able to have the baby in the hospital room with us.
We are all doing great now. The recovery from the C-section wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. Luckily I had that kidney surgery last year to prepare me for this and compared to that the C-section was nothing!! Thank you for all of your emails, calls, and visits. I'll get some more pictures up a little more quickly next time!


The Bundys said...

Wow, Linds, that is crazy! I am glad everything turned out ok. And she looks super chunky and healthy for 8lbs. Congratulations!

Josh, Lindsie, and Ava said...

I was so excited to see your blog adn the pictures of your cute Hali. She has so much hair, I love it. I am glad everything turned out okay and you made it through those first few days. Congrats.

Charise said...

She is such a cutie! I'm glad you posted pics! :) Congrats you guys!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting her here Linds. I can't believe the luck you have! I mean just with everything, I am just so glad she made it here safe and sound and you are ok too. She is just beautiful and I can't wait to see more pictures. I've been checking your blog daily since Lisha told us you had had her. Keep them coming!

The Sutherland Family said...

Linz! I now have a blog!! Congrats,your little girl is so cute and I LOVE her room. So how are you doing as a new mom?

Kristen said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful! I had a c-section with Kate also, and I'm pretty excited to already know the date of this next delivery!