Thursday, March 6, 2008

Help - Pacifier Problems...




From day one Hali has been a pacifier baby which I am okay with. However, there is only one binki she likes and it's the big huge green one from the hospital which is the easiest for her to knock out! When Hali was in the NICU they were constantly dipping the pacifier in the "Sweet-Ease" which is basically sugar water!! It took us quite a while to get her to take the pacifier without that stuff, but we finally did it. So I should be happy that she just takes it without the 'sweet-ease' right? Wrong, now that she has found her mouth with her hands she is constantly knocking it out of her mouth because she wants to suck on her hands too. The only way she will go to sleep is with the pacifier, but when she wakes up in the middle of the night (sometimes 10 times) and her pacifier is not in her mouth she freaks out. I have tried to just let her cry herself to sleep many many times, but for whatever reason it doesn't work with her (she only gets more upset!) I could only stand to hear her cry for 40 minutes max! As you can see I have bought many different kinds of pacifiers, but she will only take the hospital one! Not to mention the hospital pacifier should only be used up to three months of age! I am desperate, any suggestions?

8 comments:

Staci said...

Hey they sell those binkis at target and the come in different sizes for when they were older these were the only ones Mason liked too you can also order them online Good luck

The Bundys said...

Jace would only such the hospital ones too. And yeah, you can buy some at target for older kids...they are a little more sturdy I guess you could say. But youre right, they are so easy to knock out and then they bounce....Jake hated it! The good thing was that it was pretty easy to get him off the Binki because it was so hard to keep it in his mouth.

Josh, Lindsie, and Ava said...

Ava was really picky too, but we did buy quite a few pacifiers before we discovered the ones she really likes. She likes the small pink Mam ones, with the single heart and the one that says sweet pea. She has finally at 8 months old moved up to the next size, beause those small ones were newborn ones.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I'd let her suck on her hands or fingers if thats what she wants to do. You can teach them to chuck that habit to when their older. I would also not give up on a different pacifier. Sometimes it takes weeks of giving them the one you want them to take. It kind of sounds like she's exerting her independence and making sure you know who's really running the show!

Weston & Jennie said...

When I finally let my girls cry themselves to sleep, I had to leave the house. I think that it took Sydney 1 hr and 45 min. the first time. And, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if Hali is anything like my girls (and it sounds like she might be) I would just get a sleep schedule established and something would disrupt it and I would have to start all over again with the crying. I hope you luck out though. As far as binkis, Macey still prefers one that is only for up to 6 mths. I try to hide it and she will find it and use it. I should just throw it away.

Brittany said...

Lindsey! It is Brittany from Dixie. I found your blog from Lindsie McDaniel and I can't believe what a cute family you have. Your baby is adorable!

Paul and Heidi Broadbent said...

Hi Lindsey-

I missed you at church on Sunday.Relief Society was lonely without you and Hali. Can you believe she is already 4 months? Will you email the pic you want for the RS slide show to me? Or I can just save one off your blog if there is one you want on here. It can be just you or your family or whatever you want. email to heididayton@gmail.com
Thanks!

Angie said...

Ellen was a binki baby until she turned one and now she always sucks her thumbs. But after the whole binki year I think there's just not much you can do about it. I don't think it is a good idea to make her cry herself to sleep. But givve it a few weeks of trying other binkis. She'll start to discover one that she likes! Don't worry-this will pass! ;)